David Zhang on Mont Blanc • August 4 - 9, 2016

David and his wife Yibing were to join Kathy in climbing Mont Blanc this summer. Sadly, work obligations prevented Yibing from coming over, but David made the trip.

Other Trips with David Zhang

Chamonix to Zermatt Haute Route Glacier trek, July 2015

Return to all recent trips


On our first day, we climbed the Aiguille des Marbrées under partly cloudy skies.


On the summit of the Aiguille des Marbrées, the Dent du Géant in the background.


We spent that night acclimatizing in the Torino hut. Thunderstorms came through during the night, dropping freezing rain and snow at the hut level, more snow above. Our view from the cable car as we descended the following morning.


Look out, the floor might be slippery! If you can read the sign, you are forewarned.


Later on day two, we hike to the cozy and welcoming Chabod hut, below the Gran Paradiso in Italy.


Day three sees us high on the Gran Paradiso by daybreak, struggling against an icy and blasting wind!


Conditions were somewhat better by the time we approached the summit rocks.


Taking our turn on the crowded summit block, we made it!


The way down looking rather busy....


We opted to rappel off the back side and find a quieter way down. Cold though!


Crossing paths with upwardly mobile climbers as we descend.


Day four, we must be at the Tête Rousse hut. A beautiful sunset!


Being enjoyed by all.


Day five. It's summit day on Mont Blanc! Partway up the rock ridge to the Gouter hut, it's just getting light enough to turn off the headlamps.


Breaking out above the rocks, we near the Gouter hut in its spectacular position.


We have flawless weather.


The long easy slopes up over the Dome du Gouter as the sun clears the horizon.


Once above the Dome, the summit is in view. We can see there is a bit more wind up high.


The "Bosses" ridge.


An entertaining steep step to overcome near the end...


The summit ridge in great condition...


And we made it!


The view from almost back to the Gouter hut, our home for the night.


By the time we got down to the train terminus at Nid d'Aigle the morning of day six, the rain had set in. Great timing David!

Your Comments - more info
comments powered by Disqus